Chilli Sauce - My Addiction by Humphry

Chilli Sauce - My Addiction by Humphry

Some say variety is the spice of life, but I believe spice is the variety of life!

On the back of Jillian's smashing post about Kefir grains,  I thought I'd write a little about one of the loves of my life. No, not my wife - chilli sauce.  Just as Kefir helps to promote a healthy gut flora, capsaicin, the active component in  chilli peppers, possesses powerful antibacterial properties and may do a similar job in keeping bad bacteria away.  Healthy guts may be bound (no pun intended) in preventing heart disease.

I love adding chopped fresh chillies to dishes for that cutting-edge spiciness (admittedly it's usually just me, as others don't seem to have a Teflon-coated tongue).  But when the latter are in short supply, I turn to hot chilli sauce. I've usually got about 5 bottles on the go that I never get tired of. I've kept the list simple and will do a proper review of some of the more extravagant titles out there in the future. The following are typical examples of what is in the larder and why:-

Tabasco sauce - available in most retail outlets. Gives you the spicy hit with a sassy sourness. Good on almost everything. It's like being stung by a friendly wasp - each hit a little addictive and not painful enough to stop you coming back for more.

Frank's Hotwing Buffalo sauce. In my opinion a step up from Tabasco with a slightly smoother taste. Good as a simple marinade - I would probably add another 10 or so ingredients if marinating wings etc

Scotch Bonnet West Indian sauce - there are lots of variations, even extra hot. It never lets you down for meaningful heat. I love the square bottles too!

Nando's X Hot Peri Peri Sauce - the most expensive so far, but worth it. It's nearly always on offer somewhere, so shop around like I do. I buy the XX version of this when I see it (black label), but sadly it's not always available.

Any bottle of Ghost Chilli sauce you can find (I'm using Morrisons Ghost Chilli Sauce at the moment) - This is for when I'm feeling sorry for myself and need an endorphin rush. I'll tend to put a small drop in a cooked dish - like chilli con carne. I'll turn red, I may sweat, but then all is OK with the world.

Stay spicy

Humphry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New low carb crisps by Henrietta

My favourite chutneys by Henrietta

Kefir by Henrietta